Thursday, February 8, 2018

Testing the Hypothesis, Part II


9A: Testing the Hypothesis, Part II

Through out the interview process the second time around, I found that people aren’t excited to be on their phones for social media when they can be social in person.  I think everyone has that feeling (or hope so), but because of how easy it is to start going between social medias while people around that it seems that phones are greater than human interactions sometimes.  This is my solution.

Who: There are certain social media users that fall outside of the boundary, though they share a lot with those in the boundary.  The biggest group is those that don’t download the apps on their phones, but rather just go on their computers or through Safari.

During the interviews, I found that a lot of people actually prefer to not have social medias on their phone due to the distractions and notifications (the red dots with numbers that appear on apps).  I think a tweak I could make is to not make the app send notifications, if that would be something that people would rather have.  From the sounds of my interviews, this is actually a big motivating factor.

What: Yeah, all the apps already exist on the phone, which people were not shy to already tell me.  The need is different because from other social media apps because it gets rid of all those annoying notifications, eliminates wasted time switching between them, and creates a place for people to quickly go through their social medias so they’re not “wasting time” on their phones when they could be making real connections in person.

Why: The underlying cause of the outsiders’ need is different because a lot of the people don’t have all their social media apps on their phone because they don’t want to get the notifications and don’t want to waste their time on their phones when they can be making real life connections.

Summary: In my findings, the people that were out of my initial opportunity were the people that were not going on social media through the apps on their phones.  I tweaked my idea now to not only an app, but also a website that would make it so that people wouldn’t get lost changing through their social medias any where.


Inside boundary
Outside boundary
Who
Social media users through apps on their phones
Social media users who avoid social media apps on their phones
What
Need is for people who want to not waste time on social media and those that hate getting too many unimportant notifications from social media apps
Need is not for people who want to waste their time on social media
Why
There are too many social medias and not enough space for all of them on phones
Helps people stay off their phones when people are around


3 comments:

  1. Hey Jeremiah, I did not think about some of the ideas related to time wasting and distractions that worry people when it comes to using social media. I personally related to that because sometimes I too feel like I fit in that category of falling victim to my social media. I will say though, I feel like I get distracted by my social media mostly because of sports and politics information, both of which are important to me and easily accessible through social media. I like your table but I think there could be a couple more factors in terms of social media users that could change who fits inside and outside your boundaries. Overall I see how your idea could help limit/curb heavy social media use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremiah, I must say I think you did a great job further investigating your hypothesis with this exercise because you flushed out the underlying causes why a lot of people dislike wasting time on social media and the causes of their time wasting. I relate to the people who disable notifications due to the constant annoyance of mass notifications from social media apps. Your idea to consolidate social media applications to conserve data storage is extremely marketable and very appealing to potential consumers. I learned a lot from your post about peoples social media pet peeves, and can't wait to see what you do with this idea going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah, really good insight. I think you're on the right track. With their current apps, people can turn of their notifications. Why would they invest money and time into your product/service if they can have that already. What makes you different. Awesome job. I can't wait to see what you have in stored.

    ReplyDelete