Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Idea Napkin No. 1


Assignment 11A
You. Who you are. What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in your life?
Hello there!  My name is Jeremiah Ordos and I’m a creative dude who studies advertising the University of Florida.  I have a very particular set of skills, skills that I have acquired over a twenty-two year period.  I’ve been called the glue to a lot of my friend groups, which shows how well I am at communicating and resolving conflict.  I've been called the song bird of my generation. I also write TV and movies in my spare time, as well as very successful copy for my advertising projects.  I just really like writing.  I want to make people laugh and enjoy life as well.  The business concept would play a role in me getting my scripts out there for people to consume and give feedback on, as well as hopefully getting produced one day.
What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs). 
The product/service is an app for people to network and connect who are interested in screenwriting. This could be just the tip of the iceberg, with the app actually connecting people in similar creative careers that are not easy to connect on through networks like LinkedIn or Facebook.  There isn’t a place for creative people to go to where they can connect and receive critics.
Who are you offering it to? Describe, in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question: what do your customers all have in common?
The app is targeted to any and all screenwriters right now, but specifically for those that are just looking to get noticed, a foot in the door, or a job in the industry.  The people in this demographic might be high school or college students, recent grads, and even people looking to switch careers that are leaving them unsatisfied.  The psychographics are aspiring writers or creative people who have ideas for TV shows and movies.  Also, it’s for people who really nerd out about movies and TV shows and stories in general.
Why do they care? Your solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use your product or service. 
You should care if you want to get a job in the screenwriting business and maybe don’t want to have to go to Los Angeles and beg people to read your script.  You might also care just to see how you are as a storyteller.  It’s something to use to help one find a job and follow a passion.
What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has? 
I don’t know what to call it or how to describe it, but I have that “it” factor.  I just have “it.”  That’s not me just saying that either, a bunch of my fellow students can tell you that about me.  Another thing going is that I’m me.  I’m the only person like me.  (And you are you, and no one else is like you.)  I have my imagination and creativity that would be up there with some of the best of us.  I can put a smile on your face like no other person in this world.  I listen to a lot of Kanye West music as well.  I am Beyoncé always.

In addition to these five elements, please spend a paragraph evaluating whether you believe these elements fit together or whether there are aspects of your business concept that are weaker / out-of-joint with the others. 

Anything I do is successful.  And if it fails it’s something I learn from, which to me is successful as long as I’m learning. These five elements fit together and make the business concept a successful idea on paper.  The problem is execution.  But I think if everything falls into place, it can be executed to the same success it has on paper.

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah, I thought your post did a great job of displaying and connecting your personal attributes and passions with your business idea. I can also see how many of the personal experiences you've had would help this business idea become successful. I think self confidence is an extremely important character attribute, and even more so in the field of entrepreneurship because nobody will believe in you until you start believing in yourself

    ReplyDelete