Monday, January 29, 2018

Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends


Assignment 6A

Hipster Culture and Instagram Are Responsible for a Good Thing
Opportunity:  I’m pretty sure there is an opportunity here for a number of reasons.  One, using art, murals and paintings as a form of advertising instead of traditional advertising is something that will actually be noticed.  Hipsters seem to be interested in art and murals and this would be a good way to advertise to them.
The prototypical customer: Hipsters in large cities such as Portland or Seattle.
Exploitation: This opportunity is relatively easy to exploit because it not only creates a beautiful scenery inside otherwise bland city building walls, but also helps advertisers get to their desired market.
Why I saw opportunity:  I think for me, it has a lot to do with me being an advertising major and someone who *appreciates* art. 

Trends to watch with Programmatic Advertising
Opportunity: There is an opportunity here for advertisers like myself to become more efficient.  Computers can compute and make transactions so much faster than humans, so it makes sense.  There is an opportunity to create apps and other forms of platforms to help get programmatic advertising even more ahead of the curve.
The prototypical customer: advertisers and advertising buyers are the prototypical customers.
Why I saw opportunity: Apps are created for everything nowadays, such as sending money on Venmo or ride-sharing on Uber.  It makes sense to use it in an industry to buy and sell advertising.

Open Banking
Opportunity: With the start of open banking, there is potential to create a relationship with Facebook or Amazon where your banking will help you make purchases easier. The opportunity is to team up with Amazon so that you don’t even have to put in a credit card information, but take the money directly from your bank instead.
The prototypical customer: Anyone who banks or uses Amazon.
Why I saw opportunity: Amazon does something similar with Whole Foods where you just scan your groceries and walk out.  I had to talk about this impact in one of my classes so that’s how I saw the opportunity.

Repealing of Obamacare
Opportunity: If Obamacare is repealed, a lot of people might be out of healthcare.  The opportunity is to become a provider of cheap healthcare for those in need.
The prototypical customer: Those who cannot afford a ridiculous plan for healthcare and want to still be covered by insurance for not a huge fee.

Why I saw opportunity: When there is deregulation, markets start flocking to help meet unmet needs of a vast majority of people.  This is why I think this could be a successful business.

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah, I almost wrote about the same opportunity with the repealing of Obamacare! Its a great thing for entrepreneurs to notice economic opportunities that arise from regulatory changes. Furthermore, I was really intrigued by the opportunity you noticed pertaining to open banking and creating a relationship between amazon and Facebook. I thought this was a really cool idea but my only tweak would possibly be partnering Facebook with one of the big banks like wells fargo to merge metadata into banking to create a social aspect of banking.

    ReplyDelete